This is an old family favorite. It takes about an hour and a half to make from start to finish.
- 6 cups cooked rice
- Chicken breasts (I used 3 here, but they were pretty gigantic. Use one chicken breast for each serving.)
- 1 can Cream of Celery soup
- 1 tomato OR 1 can diced tomato
- Cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp. butter or margarine
- Handful breadcrumbs
- 9×13 pan
- Cook 6 cups rice
- While rice is cooking, trim chicken breasts. If the chicken is extremely thick, butterfly it.
- Slice tomato, if not using canned
- Slice cheese into thin strips
- When rice is done, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread rice in bottom of pan
- Top with chicken. (Image 1 above)
- Cover chicken with tomato.
- Spread cream of celery soup over tomato
- Put on sliced cheese.
- Melt 1 tbsp. butter or margarine in microwave
- Add handful of breadcrumbs to butter and mix until crumbly
- Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture on top
- Bake in oven for 30-45 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
Et voila! Easy chicken dinner.
The great thing about this is how easy it is to customize. You can use any cream of X soup you’d like; you may even be able to use a bisque, though I’ve never tried. You can change the type of cheese used. You can marinate the chicken overnight to add more flavor.
Experiment! As always, let me know what you come up with.